Thursday, April 5, 2012

9th Annual Appalachian Mountain Photography Competition and Exhibition






I was selected again for the Appalachian Mountain Photography Competition at the Turchin Center for the Visual Arts at Appalachian State University.The artist reception was last Saturday. Last year I won Best of Show for a portrait of Eustace Conway. It was a very rewarding experience, especially since I had my wife with me. It was a little surreal to say the least.


This year a portrait I took of Bertha Moretz was selected. I did not win this year but to me the real prize was sharing the experience with one of my students, Chris Wood. He also entered and was selected for the exhibit. Out of over 1,000 entries, only a little over 40 was selected for exhibition. I think those odds were pretty impressive even though we both acted a little like sore losers. 


To be honest though it has always been my dream as an educator for my students to follow in my footsteps. Chris made me very proud. I hope he continues to go out and do wonderful things after graduation. And like all of my students, I hope he finds success in photography. If you want to check out some of his work his website is: www.ccharleswood.com



No comments: